Tuesday 23 August 2011

My first job in Japan


So I got the job in golf place. Yeeeeah. I work there for about 2 weeks now. It is slightly different than it was written in the job description (of course).
          The job starts from 4 in the morning till about 6, which means that I have to wake up very early, 3 o’clock. A cup of coffee is my morning friend and then by bicycle for about 30 minutes to Iiama golf square. :-)

           Here is few pictures of the place.
   
           I was very surprised, cause most of the people working there in morning hours are above 50 years old. I really admire them. They work very hard.
          Well, there is not much to be written about the job itself. I just pick thousands of golf balls. :-)

          If the weather is nice, it is quite pleasant to work in such early hours. Because of the heat and humidity, I can’t sleep well at night anyway. And I get to see all the moon shapes and many sunrises. The other day I have seen a full moon and sunrise at the same time, pure magic.
On the other hand, if it rains, it is very hard, cause rain in Japan is very heavy. If I am correct, the right expression is: “It rains cats and dogs”. :-)

          My boss is quite nice. He is about 65 years old, plays ukulele, loves Hawaiian music and Elvis Presley. So he invited me to play together one day, when the weather gets a bit cooler. Looking forward for that.
         My colleagues are also nice. Despite my poor Japanese, we try to talk, but I must say most of it I don’t understand. So I just nod my head, smile and say:”Hai…” So far it works. :-)
         It is very nice how we help each other there, especially when it’s very hot or very wet. Nice Japanese team spirit.
  
          Since I started working I discovered new things about Japanese culture.
One is that I have to have a bank account in a bank, which the place I work for is using. They don’t accept any bank. Just one week before I started working I opened a bank account in Post office. Last week they told me at the golf place, that they don’t accept them, so I have to open another account in Yokohama bank. Strange system, but what can you do…

Another is, that there is lot of presents giving, called Omiyage. It is a little present for colleagues when you have little trip somewhere, or holidays; or you give it when you visit somebody, etc. It could be sweets or crackers, or some special juice or drink, produced in the area where you go for a trip. It is a really big business here. I must say it is also very yummy.

 Little Scottish joke at the end....

Wee Archie rushed home from school to tell his mother he had been given a part in the school play. "Whit part have ye got" she says.
"I play the part of a husband" says Archie, proudly.
"Well she says, just get right back there and tell that teacher you want a speaking part"!

No comments:

Post a Comment